Bathroom makeovers can be challenging and rewarding at the same time. Whether you are planning for it to make it attractive for buyers or for personal use, it is important to know what will have a positive influence on the home value.
Long baths can be a part of healthy living. However, with available space in the bathroom getting smaller, more homeowners are replacing them with a shower. But is removing a bathtub worth it?
At Royal Bathrooms UK, our customers usually ask, does removing a bath make a home attractive or unattractive to buyers? In this article, we are going to explore the possible effects of the bathtub installation on the home resale value.
Your Options of Bathtub Vs. Shower or Shower Enclosure
When it comes to making a choice between a bathtub and a shower, both are entirely different. Each of them has its pros and cons. Keep aside what helps increase the home value; many homeowners are considering removing a bathtub and replacing it with a shower. And there are various reasons for making such a choice. A recent survey revealed many more people prefer shower enclosures over a bathtub.
- People don’t find time to sit and relax in a bathtub. Therefore, they don’t use it more often and think they should remove it.
- A shower is quick and doesn’t require any wait to fill the bathtub. So, people who want to get fresh in the mornings find it a more practical option.
- Bathtubs take a bit more space than a standard shower, and therefore homeowners want to replace them. And many even don’t know there are p-shaped shower bathtubs available that combine both showers and baths in a single fixture.
- Shower cubicles are stylish and create modern aesthetics that go perfectly well with the latest bathroom trends.
Whatever the reason you might have in your mind, bathtubs also have their pros. So, removing a bath means reducing the functionality of space. There are many practical features that a bathtub offers like
- Even If you don’t take baths too often, having at least one p shaped bathtub in the bathroom is highly practical. For example, in case you may have a family in future then baths are great for bathing a toddler.
- You may have a pet and cleaning them may be more suitable in the bath. It provides ease of use and clean afterward.
You may not agree with all these practical reasons but let’s see what experts suggest.
What Property Experts Suggest About Baths Vs. Showers
While many people start a bathroom makeover before selling their homes, it is important to know what experts suggest preferring.
Most property experts believe a bathroom makeover is a good way to increase the house value, and it may add up to 7% to the overall price.
It may also help you quickly sell the property by making it more attractive to potential buyers. But such ROI on bathroom makeovers is only possible when you do the right things.
If you are getting a bathroom makeover solely for the purpose of selling a home, don’t think about what you prefer but what buyers prefer. And property experts know what most buyers want.
- Experts believe that though shower enclosures or walk in shower are a great choice and may give your bathroom modern aesthetics, having a bathtub in the master bathroom is essential.
- The buyers consider having a bathtub in one of the bathrooms essential, and that’s why they prefer properties that have the one available already. So, according to property experts, having all the showers in all of the bathrooms or having a bathtub in all of the bathrooms is a big turn-off for most buyers and should be avoided.
- It’s not about having a bathtub or a shower. But amenities that they get are already available in the bathroom.
What Types of Bathtubs is a Better Option to Increase Home Value?
The first thing that should be kept in mind is that it is not impossible to sell a home without having a bathtub in any room. But having one will increase its value and make it attractive for the buyer. For example, a newly married couple is looking for a new home and would like to have at least a bath in one of their bathrooms. It may be that they need to rejuvenate and relax for a romance-filled bath. Or they may want a p shaped bathtub for giving bath to their toddler as they expect to grow their family.
So, you may have multiple options available that will have a positive influence on home resale value.
- P shaped bathtub. It is a combo bath in a p shape that allows you to have a shower and a bath as per your requirements. Installing it is a cost-effective solution, and you don’t need to have a separate shower.
- Double Ended bath. It is a great choice if you are looking for built-in or fitted bath options. It has room for two people to have a bath together.
- Freestanding bathtub. It is a good option to create a luxurious outlook and provide the ultimate soaking experience. You should prefer it if there is a lot of space available in the bathroom.
Whether you prefer a shower or a bathtub for yourself, having a p shaped bathtub is essential in at least one of the bathrooms in your home. It will increase your home value and will be an attractive factor for buyers.