There is currently one Christmas decor trend sweeping across TikTok and Instagram, and the best bit? It’s finally a trend that’s actually affordable and easy to achieve.
The viral shower rod Christmas garland hack originally posted by @thekwendyhome has amassed a whopping 1.2 million likes and over 321,000 saves since it was shared, along with hundreds of other creators who have given it a go. It seems that this is going to be the ONLY decor hack everyone tries this Christmas.
Followers have gone mad for it with Avery claiming “this is SO APARTMENT AND CAT FRIENDLY, you saved my holiday season!!” and Mary Duce who says it’s the damage free garland she has been looking for “Been wanting to decorate our archway for years. But I didn’t want to drill any holes into it”.
So, how can we recreate this look in our own home?
How To Recreate The Viral Shower Rod Christmas Garland
What You Will Need
- Adjustable shower curtain rod (Try this Gold adjustable rod from Amazon for £22.88)
- Garland (you may need more than one) – always opt for a cedar or Norfolk Pine garland as these carry a more authentic look, although can be slightly pricier
- Fairy Lights – these can be picked up inexpensively from places like Amazon, Primark and B&M stores
- Accent Garlands or Ornaments (optional) – get the look with this similar star garland from H&M (only £9.99!)
- Step Ladder
We have linked to a selection of similar items from Amazon that you can use to recreate the look. Shop the look on Amazon
- Choose the doorway that or opening that you want to hang your garland from, grab your curtain rod and adjust it to the desired width of your doorway and tighten at the entry. You want to do this at hip height so you can easily wrap the garland around it before putting it in its final position. Wendy also suggests adding cardboard at the ends of the pole to avoid any damage, but you could also do the same with felt pads for furniture which will be more secure and less likely to damage your door frame and paint.
2. Grab your garland and wrap it around the curtain rod, you may want to add another garland to this for a fuller look.
3. Weave your fairy lights around the garland for full, magical coverage. At this point you can add any accent garlands or ornaments to the structure such as dried oranges, if you wish.
4. Then grab your step ladder and gently raise your shower rod up to the desired height in your doorway, it’s really that simple!
There has been some speculation as to how safe it is with one follower adding, “I just know that would fall at 3am and scare me to death”, Wendy added “I was afraid of this so tested it out for a few days before I shared! So far so good. I also think it’s how well made the shower curtain rod is too”.
Looking for a more traditional look? Here another creator tries out the viral curtain rod hack with a more traditional, fuller garland.
Excuse us as we go and try this out for ourselves this Christmas, what do you think? Is it something you’d try?