I turned 27 at the start of the week and do you know what? I think I must be the minority when I say I genuinely look forward to another year of being older? Huh?
I have learnt more in my twenties about life than any other time.
I’m going into my 27th year with a hunger for life, my career and the future. I’m ready to be selfish, I’m ready to say yes to everything, seek new adventures, travel and see where life takes me.
My twenties have also been hard, both the experiences and people I have met have helped me to experience life and all the rollercoasters that have gone with it.
Looking back, these are undoubtedly the 26 life lessons that I’ve learnt and would tell my younger self.
1.Don’t care what other people think of you. It’s literally taken until my 26th year to stop giving a f*** what other people think or say about me. No one criticises you that’s doing better than you, just think about that…
2.Eat the cake. I spent 6 months this year doing the exact opposite. Did I feel great? Hell yeah. Was I happy? No. Seriously, just have the cake, it’s all about that perfect balance in life. Will we look back on our life and say I’m glad I didn’t eat that cake?…
3. Men are trash. No, seriously lol.
4. Be careful what you learn to live with.
5. You really can only trust yourself in this life.
6. Always listen to your gut, it is normally always 100% the truth. Your dreams are your subconscious speaking to you too, keep having a particular recurring dream about your life? Act on it.
7. If you aren’t happy with something, stop moaning about it and do something about it. You are the only person that can change your life and destiny. You can create your perfect life.
8. Read The Secret. I only discovered this book when I was 25 and it has LEGIT changed my life. I love it so much that I included it in my post on 2 of the best self help books that changed my life.
9. Nothing good ever comes out of snooping.
10. Know your own worth + ADD tax.
11. Stop saying I can’t. If you believe, you can do anything. If someone had said to me 6 months ago you have to do a 5 hour car journey by yourself I would have said I can’t and got the train. Last week I did this 5 hour journey by myself with no problem. The power of believing and giving yourself a pep talk when you need it will help you conquer anything.
12. You are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with. Surround yourself with likeminded individuals, cut out the toxic, unsupportive people in your life and your life will start to blossom.
13. Be kind, always. Compliment strangers, you never know how it could make someones day.
14. Don’t settle. Comfort is the thief of joy, the moment you start feeling uncomfortable is when you’re in the right place. Push through the barrier.
15.Appreciate the smallest things in life. Often the things that cost nothing are the ones that provide the greatest long term joy.
16. Something that costs nothing is valued at nothing.
17. Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but doesn’t get you anywhere. Don’t flit between thinking and worrying about the past or future, the only time we can just be is in the present. Live in the present.
18. Travel! No one to travel with? Solo travel! You can have a completely different experience in a place by yourself, you only have yourself to please and I find that you usually end up getting so much more out of the trip. Just be prepared to ask strangers to get that snap for the gram for you.
19. Feel the fear and do it anyway.
20. If you have time to moan, scroll on social media and watch Netflix, then you have time to work on your goals.
21. We all have enough time in the day to prioritise the things that matter to us.
22. Chase dreams, not people. You’ll never be disappointed.
23. Appreciate the people in your life that mean the most to you. Just because they haven’t texted you first, reach out to them. Make plans, don’t take weeks to reply to messages, you never know when you’ll really need their support.
24. Consistency and sustainability are the keys to achieving any dream or ambition in your life, they are the dynamic duo.
25. Say yes more. Get out more. Don’t fall into the Netflix series after Netflix series trap, life is for living, not existing.
26. Do what makes you happy. Life is too short to do anything else. Follow your heart, follow your dreams and everything else will follow.
Bring on another year of self discovery, fun and living my best life.
What one thing would you tell your younger self?